The History of Meeting House Hill
The Town of Acton, formerly part of Concord, was incorporated in 1735; one of the conditions of the act of incorporation being that a meeting house be erected within three years. In 1737 the Selectman received from Mrs. Anne Cumings the deed for the 1.75 acre lot on which the meeting house was built. This land, in the geographical center of Acton, later passed through several hands, the last being that of Mr. E.P. Bullard, who deeded it to the town for religious or historical purposes.
This land, known today as Meeting House Hill, had most recently been used for a village school which was demolished in 1960. In 1963, a stepping stone from the 1737 Meeting House was returned to the site, and the Acton Garden Club was approached by the Selectman and asked to place some plantings around it. In investigating the area, the Acton Garden Club became interested in its possibilities for development in to a park with special historical significance.
With the approval of the Selectman, the Acton Garden Club commissioned landscape architect Dorothea Harrison of Concord to prepare a plot plan for landscaping the site. In 1964 the Acton Garden Club entered this project in the Bay State Beautification Program contest co-sponsored by Sears Roebuck & Company and the Garden Federation of Massachusetts, and became the First Prize Winner of $200 “seed money”.
These initial funds were augmented by donations from civic groups, community businesses and individuals. The land was cleared, graded and seeded, flowering trees and shrubs were planted, and a wild flower garden was established in the woodland area.
Meeting House Hill is maintained by the Acton Garden Club and the Municipal Properties section of the Town of Acton and is located at the corner of Main Street and Nagog Hill Road.
Back to Club Information Page